A mile and a half west stands Fonthill, built in 1832 by Robert Mercer Taliaferro Hunter. He served variously as United States senator, Confederate secretary of state, Confederate States senator, and as a member of the peace commission that met with Union representatives near Fort Monroe in February 1865. Imprisoned briefly at the end of the war, Hunter soon resumed his public career, serving as treasurer of Virginia from 1874 to 1880.
Geographic Location: Essex County
Physical Description of Location: North, VA 22436. Located on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17) and Lloyds Road. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Tidewater Trail (Hwy 17).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth