Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England's Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county's outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and 3 Notch Road (Hwy 250). Marker is on the right when traveling south on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth