Fluvanna County takes its name from an 18th-century term for the upper James River. The name, meaning river of Anne, was originally bestowed in honor of England's Queen Anne. The county was formed from Albemarle County in 1777. Among the county's outstanding architectural and historic resources are those included in the Bremo Historic District (Upper Bremo, Lower Bremo, and Recess) along with those in the Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. There at the county seat of Palmyra, a temple-form courthouse design by Gen. John Hartwell Cocke dominates a small cluster of court structures.
Geographic Location: Buckingham County
Physical Description of Location: Bremo Bluff, VA 23022. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 29), 1.5 miles north of the junction of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 29) and State Route 652. Marker is on the left when traveling north on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 29).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth