The Fluvanna County Courthouse is one of the few in the state to retain its original configuration. Fluvanna County was formed from part of Albemarle County in 1777 with the county seat located on the southeast side of the Rivanna River. In 1828 Palmyra was selected as the new county seat, and the present courthouse was erected in 1830 by the Reverend Walker Timberlake and John Hartwell Cocke of nearby Bremo. Cocke also prepared the plans for the stone jail, built in 1828, which now houses the Fluvanna County Historical Society's museum.
Geographic Location: Fluvanna County
Physical Description of Location: Columbia, VA 22963. Located on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), 0.4 miles north of the junction of James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and Thomas Jefferson Pkwy (Rt. 53). Marker is on the right when traveling north on James Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth