This place became the county seat when Floyd County was formed in 1831. First called Jacksonville for Andrew Jackson, its name was changed to that of the county. The courthouse was built on land given by the Phlegar family. The town was incorporated in 1892 and rechartered in 1936. Here was born Admiral Robley D. Evans, hero of the Spanish-American War.
Geographic Location: Floyd County
Physical Description of Location: 102 N. Locust Street Floyd, VA 24091. Located at the intersection of W. Main Street (Hwy 221) and N. Locust Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth