containertop

Fitchett’s Wharf Marker, N-86

Fitchett's Wharf was a center of commercial activity for this area of Mathews County from 1845 until the early 20th century. It also served as a major port of call for vessels plying the Chesapeake Bay until 1932. An important shipyard, owned and operated by Lewis Hudgins, stood here until it was burned by Union forces in 1864. Several well-known brig and schooner class commercial ships were built here, including the Victory and the Conquest. The shipbuilder's house still stands nearby, and the wharf store has been restored as a residence.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1982
Region: Northern Neck-Middle Peninsula and Eastern Shore Region
Geographic Location: Mathews County
Physical Description of Location: Westville, VA 23119. Located on State Route 642, 0.833333333333333 miles west of the junction of State Route 642 and State Route 644. Marker is on the right when traveling west on State Route 642.
GPS Location: 37.443778,-76.293359
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom