James Abbott Fishburne, an honor graduate of Washington College inspired by its president, Robert E. Lee, opened in 1879 with 24 students what eventually became Fishburne Military School. Staunton architectural firm T.J. Collins & Son designed the 1916-1922 barracks in the castellated Gothic style, th 1915 library (Virginia's second-oldest Carnegie library), and the 1940 gymnasium-administrative building. In Feb. 1919, the school adopted one of the nation's first Army Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps programs. Operated by the Fishburne-Hudgins Educational Foundation since 1931, the school is listed on the Virginia Landmarks Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
Geographic Location: Waynesboro
Physical Description of Location: 126 S Wayne Avenue, at Federal Street, Waynesboro, VA 22980.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth