In 1932, the first African American Girl Scout troop in the South began meeting nearby on the Virginia Union University campus. Sponsors of the troop included Lena Watson, Janie Jones, and Mary Virginia Binga. Girl Scouts enjoyed activities such as camping, earning badges, and learning first aid. The Richmond Girl Scouts served as a model for other southern localities as the Girl Scout organization moved toward integration. Initially, Girl Scout activities in Virginia were segregated but by 1947 African American and white high school girls were working together on the Richmond Council newsletter.
Original Sponsor: Girl Scouts of the Commonwealth of Virginia
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: North Lombardy St., near the library (on the Virginia Union University campus), Richmond VA.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth