First Settlement Marker, KO-1
About five miles southwest is Dunkard Bottom, where Dr. Walker founded a settlement in 1750. The fort there was built about 1756 and was the first fort in Virginia west of New River. The first store and first mill were also there.
Marker Information:Year On Marker: 1929
Geographic Location: Pulaski County
Physical Description of Location: Center median of Lee Highway (US 11), about .9 miles south of intersection with Peppers Ferry Boulevard (Virginia 114), Fairlawn, VA 24141.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth