The crucifix by sculptor Georg J. Lober, erected in 1930, commemorates the first English Roman Catholic settlement in Virginia. Fleeing political and religious turmoil in Maryland, Giles Brent and his sisters Margaret and Mary established two plantations called Peace and Retirement on the north side of Aquia Creek between 1647 and 1650. Later, they jointly acquired 15,000 acres in Northern Virginia, including the site of present-day Alexandria. Their nephew George Brent, whose plantation Woodstock and family cemetery were located nearby, represented Stafford County in the House of Burgesses in 1688, the only Roman Catholic delegate in the colonial period.
Geographic Location: Stafford County
Physical Description of Location: 3200-3268 Jefferson Davis Highway (US 1), about 1.1 miles north of intersection with Garrisonville Road (County Road 610), Stafford, VA 22554. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 1.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth