Skilled craftsmen of Polish origin recruited by the Virginia Company began arriving in Jamestown aboard the Mary and Margaret about 1 Oct. 1608. Poles contributed to the development of a glass factory and the production of potash, naval stores, and wood products. Soon samples of their work were shipped back to England. The workers were so highly prized that they were assigned apprentices so that their skill "shall not dye with them." Capt. John Smith praised their work ethic in his writings. Court records indicate that as a result of a dispute, Poles were granted full voting rights on 21 July 1619.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/17/11
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Thomas Payne, American Council for Polish Culture
Geographic Location: James City County
Physical Description of Location: Jamestown Road (VA 31), Williamsburg, VA 23185. Marker is adjacent to pedestrian crosswalk (about 600 feet north of entrance to Jamestown Settlement historic site parking lot) at beginning of row of state hisorical markers.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth