Henry County’s first courthouse stood near here, either on the land that became Edgewood or in the area that became Stanleytown. In 1777, the first court of Henry County acquired land from Henry Barksdale and decided to build a courthouse. Completed in 1780, the courthouse served as a hospital during the America Revolution for Maj. Gen. Nathanael Greene's men in Mar. 1781. In 1792, the county courthouse was moved to the newly established nearby town of Martinsville.
Original Sponsor: Mike Kodenski/Stanleytown Ruritan Club
Geographic Location: Henry County
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location - Intersection of US 57 (Fairystone Park Highway) and County Road 903, Stanleytown, VA 24168.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth