Giles County was formed from Montgomery, Monroe (now in West Virginia), and Tazewell Counties in 1806. It was named for William Branch Giles, United States senator from Virginia and later governor. North of here, the first court of Giles County was held on 13 May 1806 at the house of George Pearis. The new county seat, Pearisburg, was established in 1808. Pearis donated 53 acres of land for the town. A temporary log structure was built by 1807 to house the court until a permanent stone courthouse was built around 1810. It was replaced by the current courthouse that was erected in 1836.
Geographic Location: Giles County
Physical Description of Location: Pearisburg, VA 24134. Located on Virginia Avenue (Hwy 460), 1 mile west of the junction of Virginia Avenue (Hwy 460) and North Main Street. Marker is on the right when traveling west on Virginia Avenue (Hwy 460).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth