The first church in Rockingham County was built on this site in 1747 on land owned by Captain Daniel Harrison of the colonial militia. Serving as a "Chapel of Ease" for Augusta Parish, the first building is believed to have been built of logs. The chapel was replaced by a larger frame building some 20 years later. Following the Revolutionary War, the church was used by a Methodist congregation; it was sold and functioned as a barn until it was torn down about 1900.
Geographic Location: Rockingham County
Physical Description of Location: 324-326 Bowman Road (Virginia 732), at Cemetery Drive, Dayton, VA 22821.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth