Miller's place here was selected as the county seat of Botetourt in 1770. In 1772 the town of Fincastle was established on land donated by Israel Christian and named for Lord Fincastle, eldest son of Governor Lord Dunmore. It was incorporated in 1828. In 1845 it had a population of 700. The present courthouse was erected about 1850.
Geographic Location: Botetourt County
Physical Description of Location: 145-181 Botetourt Road (US 220), Fincastle, VA 24090. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 220, just past intersection with E Main Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth