Fincastle County, established in 1772, was formed from Botetourt County. The Fincastle County seat was located opposite the lead mines on the north side of the New River in the western end of present day Austinville. In 1775, the Fincastle County Committee of Safety filed its resolutions with the Continental Congress supporting other American colonies' efforts for self-determination. The resolutions suggested the citizens were supportive of King George III, but they were not willing to be subjected to the possible loss of liberty and property. The county became extinct in 1776 when it was split into Montgomery, Washington, and Kentucky (now the state of Kentucky) Counties.
Year On Marker: 2002
Geographic Location: Wythe County
Physical Description of Location: Fort Chiswell Road (Virginia 52), about 300 feet south of intersection with Austinville Road (State Route 619), Austinville, VA 24312. Marker is on right when traveling north on Virginia 52.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth