Two miles east is the site of the first college for women in Virginia, the Female Collegiate Institute. Opened in 1837, it failed in 1843. Reopened in 1848, it survived until 1863. The school building has been destroyed but the "President's Cottage" still stands.
Geographic Location: Buckingham County
Physical Description of Location: Dillwyn, VA 23936. Located on North Madison Hwy (Hwy 15), 0.5 miles northeast of the intersection of North Madison Hwy (Hwy 15) and State Route 731. Marker is on the right when traveling northeast on North Madison Hwy (Hwy 15).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth