This stately brick house was built about 1855 for Felix Hull (ca. 1823-1861) in the Greek Revival style popular in the late antebellum period. During the Civil War, his widow, Eliza Mathews Hull, was living here on 7-8 May 1862 when the house was commandeered for headquarters by Union Brig. Gen. Robert H. Milroy and his superior, Brig. Gen. Robert C. Schenck. On 9 May, after the Battle of McDowell on Sitlington's Hill just to the east, the victorious Maj. Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson made his headquarters here. He pursued the Union army westward, then returned here on 14 May for the night before moving toward Staunton.
Geographic Location: Highland County
Physical Description of Location: Stonewall, VA 24458. Located on Hwy 250, 0.25 miles north of the junction of Hwy 250 and State Route 678. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Hwy 250.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth