Nearby on Falling Creek is the first ironworks in English North America. It was established by the Virginia Company to supply iron for the colony and for export to England. Construction began in 1619. The works, including a blast furnace, were completed under ironmaster John Berkeley and production began late in 1621 or early in 1622. The facility was destroyed and almost everyone there (twenty-seven people) was killed during the 22 Mar. 1622 Indian attacks coordinated by Chief Opechancanough that struck this and various other English settlements. There were three other unsuccessful 17th-century attempts to restart the ironworks.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Richmond, VA 23237. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), 0.4 miles south of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and Chippenham Pkwy (Rt. 150). Marker is on the right when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth