F. T. Baptist Church was founded nearby as Ragged Mountain Church in 1778. According to tradition the congregation worshipped in a log structure at Sharp Rock until about 1802 before moving to the former F.T. Village by 1804 where it became known as F.T. Baptist Church. F.T. stands for Francis Thornton who received land grants in the region from the 1730s to the early 1750s. In 1816 the congregation moved to the present site and built a new structure. By 1884 the present church was constructed nearby and an addition was added later. F.T. Baptist Church fostered the founding of other churches.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Rappahannock County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between F.T. Valley Road (Virginia 231) and Slate Mills Road (County Road 707), Sperryville, VA 22740.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth