In 1891, Evergreen Cemetery was established as a preeminent resting place for many of Virginia’s most influential African-American residents. These include Maggie L. Walker, the nation’s first female bank president and founder of the St. Luke Penny Savings Bank, and John Mitchell, Jr., champion of African-American rights and editor of the Richmond Planet newspaper. J. Henry Brown, a stonemason by trade, designed many of the tombstones erected here. By the early 1970s, the cemetery had fallen into disrepair. In 1975, volunteers from the Maggie L. Walker National Historic Site led an effort to restore Evergreen to its original glory.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/17/11
Year On Marker: 2011
Original Sponsor: Lisa B. Williams, Maggie Walker Civic Society
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 4001-4149 E Richmond Rd, Richmond, VA 23221. Marker is on right when traveling west on E Richmond Road about 700 feet prior to junction with Jennie Scher Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth