The site of an Appomattox Indian village burned in 1676 in Bacon's Rebellion, the present town of Ettrick stands on land that belonged to "Ettrick Banks" and "Matoax," the boyhood plantation of John Randolph of Roanoke. In 1810 Campbell's Bridge connected Ettrick with Petersburg, hastening the development of mills on the river. Virginia State University, formerly known as the Virginia Normal and Collegiate Institute, was established here in 1882.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Ettrick, VA 23803. Located on Chesterfield Avenue, 0.75 miles south of the intersection of Chesterfield Avenue and Granger Street. Marker is on the left when traveling south on Chesterfield Avenue.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth