Episcopal High School, on the hill to the southwest, was founded in 1839 as a boys' preparatory school, one of the first in the South; girls were admitted in 1991. The school was a pioneer in the establishment of student honor codes in preparatory education. In 1861 Union troops occupied the school and used it as a military hospital; the poet Walt Whitman served as a nurse there. Episcopal High School reopened in 1866. The central administration building, now called Hoxton House, was built about 1805 by Elizabeth Parke Custis, a granddaughter of Martha Washington.
Geographic Location: Alexandria
Physical Description of Location: 3646 King St Alexandria, VA 22302. Located on King Street, 0.5 miles southeast of the intersection of King Street and Hwy 395. Marker is on the right when traveling southeast on King Street.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth