Enon Baptist Church was organized on 8 October 1849. The church was built here on a one-acre tract given by the founder, John Alexander Strachan. In May 1864, during the Civil War, Union army troops under Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler dismantled Enon Baptist Church and moved the lumber to nearby Point of Rocks where they used it to build a military hospital. After the war, members of the congregation dismantled the hospital and used the material to rebuild the present Enon Church. Later, the congregation petitioned Congress and was awarded compensation for the army's destruction of the building.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Chester, VA 23836. Located on North Enon Road, 0.8 miles north of the intersection of North Enon Road and E. Hundred Road (Rt. 10). Marker is on the right when traveling north on North Enon Road.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth