On 1 July 1950, the first professional Afro-American firefighters in Virginia were hired and in September were stationed on the northeast corner of this intersection. These courageous pioneers created a loyalty and dedication to each other and their profession notwithstanding discriminatory practices. Harvey S. Hicks, among those first hired, became the city's first black fire captain in September 1961. On 14 June 1963, Hicks and firefighter Douglas P. Evans sacrificed their lives in a rescue attempt. The city integrated the fire department on 6 July 1963 and demolished the fire station in 1968.
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: West corner of the intersection between Duval Street and N 5th Street, Richmond, VA 23219.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth