On 19 May 1864 Confederate forces commanded by Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell attacked Brig. Gen. Robert O. Tyler's heavy artillery division on the Union right flank near the Harris farm, Bloomsbury, about one-quarter mile northwest. Newly arrived from the forts protecting Washington, D.C., the inexperienced "heavies" fought as infantry and stubbornly held their ground. At dark Ewell withdrew, ending the last major engagement of the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House. The Confederates suffered 900 casualties at the Harris farm, the Federals about 1,500. Two days later, the Union army marched to the North Anna River as Grant maneuvered south toward Richmond.
Geographic Location: Spotsylvania County
Physical Description of Location: 9710-9754 Courthouse Road (Virginia 208), about .4 miles south of intersection with Smith Station Road, Spotsylvania, VA 22553. Marker is on right when traveling south on Virginia 208.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth