Engagement at Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 7 April 1865 Marker, O-52

After successfully crossing the Appomattox River at nearby High Bridge, Maj. Gen. Andrew A. Humphreys' II Corps attacked Confederate forces under Maj. Gen. William Mahone that were entrenched on the high ground around Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Protecting Lee's flank and wagons, Mahone held off two Union assaults until darkness allowed him to withdraw from the battlefield. Near the church, Mahone's headquarters, Lee received the first message from Grant suggesting the surrender of the Army of Northern Virginia. The army continued its march west, finally surrendering on 9 April at Appomattox Court House.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1993
Region: Southside Region
Geographic Location: Cumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Farmville, VA 23901. Located on Cumberland Road (Rt. 45), 0.75 miles south of the intersection of Cumberland Road (Rt. 45) and Raines Tavern Road. Marker is on the right when traveling south on Cumberland Road (Rt. 45).
GPS Location: 37.3458358370,-78.3851054220
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth