This traditional farmhouse was probably built for William Harwood around 1769. His great grandson, Dr. Humphrey Harwood Curtis, acquired the plantation in 1858. In May 1861, Dr. Curtis organized the Warwick Beauregards (Company H, 32d Virginia Volunteer Infantry Regiment) and commanded them until May 1862. Confederate Generals Lafayette McLaws and Robert Tombs used Endview as their headquarters during the early stages of the 1862 Peninsula Campaign. Union regiments camped here as part of the Federal occupation of nearby Yorktown. Dr. Curtis regained possession of Endview (also called Curtis Farm) after the Civil War and his descendants continued to live here until 1985.
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 400-460 Yorktown Rd (State Route 238), Newport News, VA 23603. Marker is on right when traveling north in pull-off located in front of Endview Plantation. Marker is parallel to roadway.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth