containertop

Enderly Marker,

Built ca. 1859 in the Greek Revival style, Enderly was the home of William F. Gordon Jr. during the 1860s. Gordon served as clerk of the Virginia House of Delegates from 1859 to 1865. He was temporary secretary of the convention that met in Richmond in 1861 to debate Virginia’s secession from the Union. As special emissary of the convention, he delivered a copy of the Ordinance of Secession to Confederate President Jefferson Davis in Montgomery, Alabama. From 1861 to 1862, Gordon was a private in the 19th Virginia Infantry. He represented Louisa County in the House of Delegates (1875–1877).

Marker Information:
Date Approved by DHR: 06/19/2014
Original Sponsor: David Christopher Lewis
Region: Blue Ridge and Central Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Charlottesville
Physical Description of Location: Proposed Location: 603 Watson Avenue, Charlottesville VA
GPS Location: 38.040953,-78.470552
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth
containerbottom