Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Ellerslie C-10 | Marker History

Ellerslie Marker, C-10

One-half mile southeast of this location is Ellerslie, which was built in 1814 by French Huguenot Col. John Jett and his wife Hannah Calvert for their son James Jett, Jr., on a 1,000-acre tract. In 1749, George Washington named Jett Street in the town of Washington, Virginia, for the family. In 1862, some of Union Maj. Gen. John Pope's forces occupied Ellerslie before the Second Battle of Manassas. After the Civil War, Ellerslie fell into disrepair and the property was divided. In 1926, its century-old English boxwoods were moved to the National Cathedral in Washington, D.C., to grace the Bishop's Garden. Ellerslie was destroyed by fire in 1933.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 1997
Region: Fredericksburg-Culpeper-Warrenton and Upper Piedmont Region
Geographic Location: Rappahannock County
Physical Description of Location: Lee Highway (Route 211), Washington, VA 22747. Marker is on right when traveling north, 100 feet south of intersection with Tiger Valley Road (State Route 626).
GPS Location: 38.7067096060,-78.1569114980
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth