Located here was Stop 54 on the electric interurban railway line between Richmond and Petersburg. Opened in 1902 by the Virginia Passenger and Power Co., the line crossed Swift Creek on a steel truss bridge and followed Ashby Avenue to its intersection here with the Richmond-Petersburg Turnpike. Turning south, the line followed the Boulevard to Stop 66 (Chesterfield Ave.) and crossed the Appomattox River on a trestle. Stone and Webster purchased the line in 1925, renamed it the Virginia Electric and Power Company and replaced the trestle with the Appomattox River Bridge. Electric rail operations ceased on 31 Aug. 1936.
Geographic Location: Colonial Heights
Physical Description of Location: Colonial Heights, VA 23834. Located on Hwy 1, 0.8 miles north of the intersection of Hwy 1 and State Route 626. Marker is on the left when traveling north on Hwy 1.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth