In Oct. 1844, Hampden-Sydney College's medical department first held classes in this Egyptian Revival structure designed by Philadelphia architect Thomas S. Stewart. Completed in 1846, it provided educational and clinical facilities for the medical school, which later became a centerpiece of the Medical College of Virginia. It is now part of Virginia Commonwealth University. The structure, named the Egyptian Building in 1927, was extensively renovated twelve years later to carry the Egyptian style to the interior. As one of the nation's finest examples of the Egyptian Revival style, the Egyptian Building was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1971.
Year On Marker: 2005
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: 1267-1299 E Marshall Street, next to Egyptian Building, Richmond, VA 23298.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth