Warning: assert(): Assertion failed in /home4/markerh/public_html/wp-load.php on line 1
Eastern Shore Chapel K-277 | Marker History

Eastern Shore Chapel Marker, K-277

Originally named for its proximity to the eastern shore of the Lynnhaven River, the first Eastern Shore Chapel was built elswhere by 1689. The vestry of Lynnhaven Parish commissioned the building of the third Eastern Shore Chapel in 1754. This brick structure located north of here on the site of the second chapel (circa 1730), had a gable roof skirted by modillion cornices, typical of Virginia's simpler colonial churches. Because of the expansion of Naval Air Station Oceana, this chapel was dismantled in 1952. Built to the northwest of here, the current church was completed in 1954 and took selected remnants of the interior fabric, including the gallery steps and pews from the 1754 building.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2002
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: Virginia Beach
Physical Description of Location: 801-899 Oceana Boulevard (Virginia 615), about 1.1 miles north of intersection with Tomcat Boulevard, Virginia Beach, VA 23454.
GPS Location: 36.816608,-76.007348
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth