Near this site a meetinghouse was built in 1797 to1798 by members of the Religious Society of Friends. Called Quakers, the earliest had arrived in Virginia from England in 1655. The building was the second house of worship in Richmond after St. John’s Church. Richmond Quakers advocated religious freedom, worked to make the prison system more humane and, as pacifists, usually refused to bear arms. They also joined with the Virginia Society of Friends to pressure the General Assembly for passage of the Manumission Act of 1782. Because they opposed slavery, many Quakers migrated west early in the 19th century.
Year On Marker: 2008
Original Sponsor: Richmond Religious Society of Friends
Geographic Location: Richmond (City)
Physical Description of Location: West corner of the intersection of S 20th Street and E Main Street, Richmond, VA 23223.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth