Hicksford Lodge No. 37, the first in Greensville County, was chartered in 1793. It became dormant by 1829, but several former members, with new recruits from Southampton County, formed Widow's Son Lodge No. 150, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons of the Grand Lodge of Virginia. The new lodge first met on 7 June 1829 (Anno Lucie 5829) at the home of William Fennell near Haley's Bridge in southeastern Greensville County. The lodge moved to the courthouse in Hicksford in 1840, then in 1905 to this Classical Revival-style temple. The following year, the Royal Arch Chapter was formed and met here as well.
Geographic Location: Emporia
Physical Description of Location: Emporia, VA 23847. Located on South Main Street (Hwy 301), less than 1/5 of a mile south of the intersection of South Main Street (Hwy 301) and Brunswick Avenue. Marker is on the right when traveling south on South Main Street (Hwy 301).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth