Two and a half miles north, on Dunlora plantation then owned by Mrs. Ann Hickman, the Virginia Baptist Education Society established, in 1830, a school for ministers. This school, under the principalship of Rev. Edward Baptist, M.A., was known locally as Dunlora Academy. Edward Baptist resigned in 1832, and the school was removed to Henrico County and then to Richmond. From it developed Richmond College and, later, the University of Richmond.
Geographic Location: Powhatan County
Physical Description of Location: Northeast corner of intersection between Anderson Highway (US 60) and Ridge Road (State Route 627), Powhatan, VA 23139. Marker is on right when traveling west on US 60.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth