Dunlop’s Station Marker, S-34

At the nearby junction of the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad and the Confederate military spur line to Ettrick, stood Dunlop's Station, a Confederate telegraph post and supply depot. During the siege of Petersburg, southbound passengers were detrained here to avoid Federal shells that endangered travel over the Appomattox River railroad bridge to the south. On 2 April 1865, surplus ammunition was moved here as the Confederates prepared to evacuate Petersburg. During the night of 2 April, the ammunition trains were blown up. Despite warnings, civilians climbed aboard the cars in search of food and clothing and many were killed in the ensuing explosions.

Marker Information:
Year On Marker: 2000
Region: Richmond Region
Geographic Location: Colonial Heights
Physical Description of Location: Colonial Heights, VA 23834. Located on East Ellerslie Avenue, 0.4 miles east of the intersection of East Ellerslie Avenue and Hwy 1. Marker is on the right when traveling east on East Ellerslie Avenue.
GPS Location: 37.2689358520,-77.4064419350
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth