This bluff on the James River, a mile east, was fortified by Captain A. H. Drewry in 1862. A Union fleet, attempting to pass it, was driven back, May 15, 1862; and thereafter it served as a bar to attacks on Richmond by water. On June 16, 1864, Longstreet's Corps of Lee's army crossed the river there going to the defense of Petersburg.
Geographic Location: Chesterfield County
Physical Description of Location: Richmond, VA 23237. Located on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1), 0.75 miles south of the intersection of Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1) and Dundas Road. Marker is on the left when traveling south on Jefferson Davis Hwy (Hwy 1).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth