Dr. Morgan E. Norris, a Lancaster native and the Northern Neck's first black physician, practiced medicine at this site 1917-1964. He opened to all races specialty surgical clinics, bringing enhanced medical care to the lower Northern Neck. In 1928 Dr. Norris led a campaign to build the first brick elementary school for black children in the Northern Neck. In 1939 he spearheaded a boycott to secure free bus transportation for black schoolchildren and led the Northern Neck Progressive Association's annual fair from 1927 until 1957. He was the second black trustee of Hampton University, and the first black coroner in the state.
Date Installed-Dedicated: November 16, 2013
Year On Marker: 2013
Original Sponsor: The Kilmarnock Museum
Geographic Location: Lancaster County
Physical Description of Location: 16078 Mary Ball Road, Kilmarnock, VA 22578. Marker is on right when traveling east on Route 3.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth