Before the construction of this high school, there were no schools beyond 7th grade for black students in Loudoun County. Late in the 1930s, the parent-teacher associations of various black schools formed the County-Wide League to raise money to build a high school. The league hired well-known civil rights attorney Charles H. Houston to help persuade county officials to allocate funds for the new school. In 1941 the league succeeded in obtaining a loan of $30,000 from the State Literary Fund. Named for Frederick Douglass, the noted black abolitionist and orator, the school still serves the county today.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Virginia Historical Society and Department of Historic Resources
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: 415 East Market Street (Route 7), Leesburg, VA 20175. Marker is on right in front of school when traveling east on 7.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth