Early in the 19th century, three important roads crossed here: Nineveh Turnpike leading to Front Royal, Winchester Turnpike leading to the north, and Newtown Turnpike connecting Stephens City and the Shenandoah River via the Winchester and Berrys Ferry Turnpike. Two tollgates served the roads. During the mid-19th century, the intersection was called Highland Corners. A Civil War cavalry engagement occurred here on 11 Aug. 1864 between Confederates led by Brig. Gen. John D. Imboden and Union forces commanded by Brig. Gen. George A. Custer.
Geographic Location: Clarke County
Physical Description of Location: Southeast corner of intersection between Lord Fairfax Highway (US 340) and Stonewall Jackson Highway (US 522), White Post, VA 22663. Marker is on right when traveling north on US 522.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth