This early-19th-century house and its surroundings four acres were purchased in 1941 by Gen. Marshall (1880-1959) and his wife, Katherine Tupper Marshall (1882-1978). A student of the classics, Marshall called the house, in its grove of oaks, "Dodona Manor" after the ancient Greek oracle that spoke through oak leaves. This was their home during the years of Marshall's great achievements as military chief of staff during World War II, presidential emissary to China in 1945, secretary of state (1947-1949), and secretary of defense (1950-1951). The Marshall Plan for restoring war-torn Europe won Marshall the Nobel Prize in 1953.
Geographic Location: Loudoun County
Physical Description of Location: Leesburg, VA 20175. Located on East Market Street (Rt. 7), less than 1/5 of a mile southeast of the junction of East Market Street (Rt. 7) and Edwards Ferry Road Northeast. Marker is on the left when traveling southeast on East Market Street (Rt. 7).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth