This canal, which connects Chesapeake Bay and Albemarle Sound, was chartered by Virginia in 1787 and North Carolina in 1790. It opened to traffic in 1805 and is now part of the Intracoastal Waterway. The area was visited by William Byrd II in 1728 when he surveyed the boundary between Virginia and North Carolina. In 1763, George Washington explored the area and organized the Dismal Swamp Land Company to drain it for farmland. The Great Dismal Swamp is now a National Wildlife Refuge.
Geographic Location: Chesapeake
Physical Description of Location: Chesapeake, VA 23323. Located on George Washinton Hwy South, 0.75 miles south of the intersection of George Washinton Hwy South and Hwy 17. Marker is on the right when traveling south on George Washinton Hwy South.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth