Diascund Bridge Marker, W-24

As part of British Maj. Gen. William Phillips Apr. 1781 campaign in Virginia by the 21st he sent Lt. Col. Robert Abercrombie's Light Infantry from Barrett's Ferry, where it enters the James River, to destroy the state's naval docks, ships, warehouses, and numerous military stores along the Chickahominy River. Luckily for the Americans, most of Virginia's ships had been anchored in temporary safety up the James River at Osborne's in Chesterfield County. Abercrombie's troops accomplished the remainder of their mission including destroying naval stores held at Diascund Bridge during the night of 22 Apr., before meeting up with Phillips.

Marker Information:
Additional Information: Original Marker Replaced under Replacement Marker Program using Transportation Equity Act for the 21st Century (TEA-21) Funds. A Federal program enacted into law in 1998.
Date Approved by DHR: 03/16/05
Year On Marker: 2005
Region: Tidewater Region
Geographic Location: New Kent County
Physical Description of Location: 9614 Richmond Rd (Route 60 Eastbound), Lanexa, VA 23089. Marker is on right just prior to crossing bridge.
GPS Location: 37.4239315820,-76.89381528
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth