In 1863, during the Civil War, Pennsylvanian Herman Haupt, a noted bridge designer and the superintendent of Union military railroads, commissioned John Devereux, the railroad superintendent in Alexandria, to build a siding on the Orange & Alexandria R.R. on this site, later known as Devereux Station. When a passenger station was built in 1868, the name was changed to Clifton Station. The station spurred the development of Clifton as a commercial and resort community, with its greatest growth occurring between 1890 and 1920. Although the station was removed in 1958, the town continued to thrive and remains noted for its late-19th-century architecture.
Geographic Location: Fairfax County
Physical Description of Location: Clifton, VA 20124. Located on Main Street (Rt. 645), less than 1/5 of a mile north of the intersection of Main Street (Rt. 645) and State Route 641. Marker is on the right when traveling north on Main Street (Rt. 645).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth