Denbigh Parish was established about 1635 and took its name from nearby Denbigh plantation. During colonial times, the Anglican parish administered ecclesiastical and some civil affairs for the upper portion of Elizabeth City Corporation, later Warwick County and present-day Newport News. Nearby on the banks of the Warwick River stood the first Denbigh Parish Church constructed before 1635. By 1686, a new structure near here replaced the former building. The Denbigh Parish and other local parishes in Warwick County were combined by 1725 to form Warwick Parish. A frame structure for Warwick Parish was built here about 1774 and the Baptists began using the site by 1834.
Geographic Location: Newport News
Physical Description of Location: 1300-6014 Mitchell Point Rd, Newport News, VA 23602
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth