Nearby stood one of the outer Confederate defensive lines that guarded Richmond during the Civil War (1861-1865). A series of earthworks and fortifications was built to protect the city and to allow the outnumbered Confederates to make maximum use of their manpower. By war’s end, the defensive system included three concentric lines of earthworks, batteries, and fortifications. A permanent Confederate garrison defended Richmond, often manning the lines in times of emergency. The proximity of the Union army during the final year of the war forced the Confederates to occupy the city’s defenses continuously.
Date Approved by DHR: 06/08/06
Year On Marker: 2006
Original Sponsor: Private Sponsor
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: Richmond Airport Connector Road, about 450 feet south of intersection with 7 Hills Boulevard, Henrico, VA 23231. A
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth