The Battle of Darbytown Road, 7 Oct. 1864, was the last large Confederate offensive north of the James River. Gen. Robert E. Lee personally supervised the operation. Attacking from the west astride the Darbytown Road, Lee’s infantry shattered the right flank of the Union army under Brig. Gen. August V. Kautz. Fleeing Union artillery batteries encountered the swampy headwaters of Four Mile Creek in the woods near Pioneer Baptist Church. The Confederates captured eight cannon there. Lee’s attack stalled to the south, near the River Road. Pioneer Church, organized in 1843, saw its building burned later in or shortly after the war.
Year On Marker: 2007
Original Sponsor: Timmons Group
Geographic Location: Henrico County
Physical Description of Location: 3113 Darbytown Road, Henrico, VA 23231. Marker is adjacent to parking lot of Pioneer Baptist Church.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth