Nearby to the southeast once stood Cypress Church. It was established by order of the Southwark Parish vestry on 5 April 1743. The rectangular brick building, about 60 by 27 feet in size, was completed by Feb. 1745. After the disestablishment of the Anglican Church following the American Revolution, Cypress Church's membership declined, but it remained an Episcopal church until about 1837. The building then was used by local Baptist and Methodist congregations and sold to a local Methodist congregation in 1877. The roof collapsed in 1919, but portions of the building remained until the late 1920's.
Geographic Location: Surry County
Physical Description of Location: Southwest corner of intersection between Rolfe Highway (Virginia 31) and Sexton Road (State Route 618), Dendron, VA 23839. Marker is on right when traveling east on Virginia 31.
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth