In 1749 the Virginia House of Burgesses divided Goochland County to establish Cumberland County. William A. Howard, an associate of Thomas Jefferson's master builder, Dabney Cosby, built the present Cumberland County courthouse (1818-1821). The unusual temple-form, Jeffersonian-Classical building has a finely executed Tuscan portico on the long side instead of the end and stands only one story high. Howard also designed the diminutive brick clerk's office to the east that was completed in 1821. Today, the two buildings stand near the center of the village with a jail (ca. 1823), a 19th-century well, and a 1901 Civil War monument.
Geographic Location: Cumberland County
Physical Description of Location: Cumberland, VA 23040. Located on Anderson Hwy (Hwy 60), less than 1/5 of a mile east of the intersection of Anderson Hwy (Hwy 60) and Stoney Point Road. Marker is on the left when traveling east on Anderson Hwy (Hwy 60).
Display on Google Maps
Display on Google Earth